13 December 2009

Third Sunday of Advent


Last Sunday I shared with you a tiny, pewter Advent Wreath that holds birthday cake-size candles and Prayers from the New Zealand Prayer Book. This week's Advent Wreath is an improvisation with some old candlesticks. I have always found it helpful to have a myriad of resources from around the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion at my fingertips to support my ministry with teenagers. This age group is figuring out that there are Episcopalians outside its own congregation and diocese. Teens are curious about the differences and commonalities within our own denomination, our own communion, and our own tradition of Christianity. Identifying those faith communities that support ministry with youth has always been key for me. I use whatever I can get my hands on that is creative, useful, interesting, and appropriate.

The Iona Community in Scotland remains faithful in its deep commitment to Youth Ministry. I had hoped to take my family there last summer for a sabbatical, but as a lay person found it difficult to receive funding. Please check the links in this post to learn more about their contributions to Christian evangelism and spiritual transformation. Following is their web-post for Advent.

Posted Nov 23, 2009

BRIGHT STAR-MAKER GOD
Bright star-maker God,
travel with us
through Advent
shine into our
dark corners
lead us into
ways of justice
warm us
with joy and wonder
bring us
to new birth.


Ruth Burgess
From Candles & Conifers: Resources for All Saints' to Advent, Ruth Burgess, Wild Goose Publications

No comments:

Post a Comment