19 November 2009

Bishop Gravatt Center, Upper South Carolina

I know that "Upper South Carolina" sounds like a contradiction in terms, but I am back in this diocese for the second time in as many months, and delighted to be here. Last month I had the honor of joining the Diocese at their convention to offer a couple of workshops and to help honor and celebrate the faithful episcopate of The Rt. Rev. Dorsey Henderson.

This weekend I have been invited to join the Province IV Youth Ministry Network for their annual meeting. My friend and colleague, Mary Cat Young (formerly from the Dioceses of Minnesota) collected me at the airport and deleivered me to the meeting location. I was warmly greeted by Austin when I arrived. Soon I met Sarah who showed me the way to our meeting room and I found my friends and colleagues, Sue von Rautenkranz and Cookie Cantwell. Sue is the Canon for Liturgy, Leadership Development and Formation in this diocese. Cookie, from St. James Parish in Willmington, Diocese of East Carolina, serves as Province IV's Youth Ministry Coordinator.

Friends, colleages, and youth from 15 of the 20 dioceses in the Province are present and ready to create, re-create, collaborate, worship, and network. I am making new friends, learning new methods, listening to yearnings, and sharing what I can in the way of prayers, resources, thanks, and encouragement.


My highlight for the day, sometimes known as my "Closest to God Moment," was Compline in The Chapel of Transfiguration at the Bishop Gravatt Center. What a sacred and elegant space. Congrgational singing is the BEST in this blessed space.

I'll share more in the coming days. Thank you for holding us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment